We are currently looking for 3 Project Officers based in Xiengkhouang Province (Paek, Kham and Khoun Districts)
The Project Officer (PO) is based at district level and is responsible for the implementation of USAID Learn to Read project activities for a set of schools and communities. S/he serves as the main contact with school principals, village leaders and teachers in Pre-Primary, Grade 1 and Grade 2, and also works closely with the DESB office of MoES. The PO supports reading improvement interventions across assigned project schools and communities, makes frequent field visits to monitor and ensure adherence to the project design, and demonstrates a solution-oriented approach to challenges encountered. The PO serves as a technical resource for literacy improvement and community mobilization in assigned schools, and provides coaching and refresher training to school directors, teachers and VEDCs. The PO reports to the Provincial Coordinator in Xiengkhouang province.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREA OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Ensure they fully understand the provisions of the Child Safeguarding Policy, the Code of Conduct and Local/Country Procedures for child protection.
- Conduct themselves in accordance with the rules of the Child Safeguarding Policy, in their personal and professional lives – which includes reporting suspicions of child abuse.
Program Implementation and School Support Visits
- Responsible for managing the ongoing implementation of USAID Learn to Read for a set of schools and communities, ensuring timely, efficient and well-coordinated implementation;
- Serve as the primary person responsible for management of LtR implementation and fostering and monitoring relationships with schools, communities and partners;
- Serve as the main point of contact for school leaders should issues arise;
- Responsible for ensuring schools receive materials and books at the appropriate time;
- Collaborate with school principals and communities to develop and implement a sustainability plan for continued implementation of LtR practices after LtR support ends.
Trainings, Workshops and Meetings
- Participate in LtR meetings, trainings, workshops, literacy events, parent meetings, community activities and other events;
- Regularly consult with Provincial Coordinator, Professional Development Coordinator and Community Engagement Coordinator to provide feedback on project design and for support in addressing the technical challenges;
- Regular to provide updates to principals on progress and coach him/her on ways to support the pre-primary school teachers, G1, G2 teachers and ensure longer term sustainability of LtR outcomes within the schools;
- Provide refresher training or support the Professional Development Coordinator to provide refresher training to Pre-primary school teachers, G1, G2 teachers and school principals;
- Participate in required trainings and professional development opportunities to improve understanding of USAID LtR project;
Planning, Reporting and Monitoring
- Prepare cash advance, settlement and reimbursement for the project activities;
- Conduct school visits to support, observe, demonstrate, and coach the school directors, Pre-Primary school teachers, Grade 1 and Grade 2 teachers to ensure they receive & apply the instruction components of LtR;
- Participate in government meetings as assigned;
- Participate in monthly or more frequency for one-on-one meetings with provincial coordinator to make sure the project implemented smoothly, timely and USAID LtR component applied;
- Prepare yearly goal setting, mid-year review and annual review;
- Submit Monthly, Quarterly reports and other reports as required to Provincial Coordinator;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- University degree in education, social development, or equivalent preferred
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 2 years work experience with in development project, preferably in education;
- Good training and facilitation skills;
- Good written and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player;
- Ability to travel to target schools in agreed district;
- Good computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and internet-related applications.
- Teaching experience well preferred;
- Prior experience working with schools, teachers, administrators and government officials, particularly at pre-primary and primary school level;
- Strong knowledge of approaches to language and reading education;
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead;
- Knowledge of ethnic languages spoken in the project target districts is an advantage.
Contract length: fixed term
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Interested candidates please submit a full application using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document including contact details of three professional referees (current and last line managers and HR department). Please also include details of your salary expectations and a copy of your ID card. Please note that we will require a copy of your Criminal Records (ໃບແຈ້ງໂທດ) later.
Closing date for applications is: 21 April, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply via link provided on this page only (Apply Online)
Please ensure to state the district and province you apply to in your application/cover letter
How to submit your application?
- Follow the link above
- Click on Apply Online
- If you have not registered with SCI’s online application system before (stcuk.taleo.net), please click on New User to create an account first
- Set your new User Name (no space), Password (ensure it meets required criteria) and Email Address. Please ensure you do not forget this information, as you will need to use them when progressing to next stage
- If you have applied and registered with SCI’s online application system before (stcuk.taleo.net), please input your User Name and Password to log in as Returning User.
- Once registered/logged in, you are now ready to apply to any job on SCI’s online application system (stcuk.taleo.net). Good luck!
Frequently asked questions:
- How do I fill in the ‘Title’ field? - Please click on clickable ‘search’ button right next to the field, to select the option provided (Mr, Ms, Mrs)
- What do I put in ‘Secondary nationality’ field, if I only have one nationality? - Secondary nationality is not a mandatory field, leave it blank if it does not apply to you
- Do I need to fill all fields? - Where applicable fill in all fields. But if not applicable, only fill in the mandate fields (fields with red * mark)
Save the Children International is a child-rights based organization. Safe recruitment is central to the safeguarding of children and young people that we come into contact with, and support through our programmes.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the children is an equal opportunities employer, qualified females, persons with disability and candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 6 Apr 2021
Closing date: 21 Apr 2021 - 17:59 BST
Location: Xiengkhouang, Lao People's Democratic Rep.
Department: Business Transformation
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time