Senior Finance Officer
We are currently looking for Senior Finance Officer based in Luangphabang Province
In collaboration with and under the supervision of the Finance Director, to ensure that the financial policies and procedures, control and system are followed/ implemented properly in accordance with Save the Children, donor regulations and government laws. Support management to assure that effective financial control and mechanisms are in place and work well to safe guard the financial assets as well as reputation/ profile of SCIL. In consultation with Finance Director to ensure all sub-grants are well manage and build capacity for SCI staff and partners on all matters related to financial management particular in control and compliance.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREA OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Ensure they and their team fully understand the provisions of the Child Safeguarding Policy, the Code of Conduct and Local/Country Procedures.
Conduct themselves and ensure their team conduct themselves in accordance with the rules of the Child Safeguarding Policy, in their personal and professional lives – which includes reporting suspicions of child abuse.
That child safeguarding is integrated and given a “voice” in all management processes including recruitment, induction, performance management, team meetings, annual planning processes, field level monitoring, etc.
The following are the main accountabilities:
- Verify all LPB programme and office advance/Payment expenses for all programmes as per SOD, ensuring they are processed on time and in line with SCI and donor financial requirements;
- Ensure all LPB payment requests which are paid on behalf of other SCI offices to be processed on time;
- Ensure all transactions in the system posted by other SCI offices are accounted correctly to SCI Laos expenses;
- Strictly follow up SCI financial calendar, ensuring that all needed expenses in the period are posted to FMS before soft close, leaving the time between soft and hard close only for reviewing, checking and doing necessarily required reallocations;
- Notify awards’ ending date to relevant staff members beforehand to ensure payment/expenses of those awards to be submitted to finance team in due time;
- Ensure expenses of awards closed in the period to be posted in due time;
- Ensure cash book to be updated and bank reconciliation to be performed in due time before the month end date and also petty cash is counted and reconciled;
- Ensure advance, receivables payables to be clear in due time in line with SCI procedures;
- Ensure all bank & cash accounts are reconciled well before the hard close;
- Follow up with finance visit planning in order to make the planning feasible and efficient;
- Ensure periodical finance visit to partners to be conducted in due time and ensure compliance is well followed by partners;
- Verify partners’ financial reports and partners’ advance as per Scheme of Delegation.
Cash Forecast/Banking and Cash Management
- Ensure that cash request is prepared and submitted to CO in due time on monthly basis;
- Manage the LPB cash balance and ensure it is within the allowed limit on monthly basis;
External and Internal Audit
- Participate in pre-meeting and exit meeting with Auditors;
- Facilitate the audit conducted at the SCI LPB Office and partners office (if required);
- Implement and follow up the implementation of auditors’ recommendations.
Capacity Building and Staff Management
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role in an emergency;
- Manage finance team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly;
- Develop and implement training courses in financial skills for non-accounting staff;
- Provide finance induction training to new SCI staff;
- Support C&C FM in the update of the induction training package when needed;
- Support C&C FM in the update of partners' training package when needed;
- Back up team members to provide refresh training to partners when necessary;
- Coordinate and develop the plan for Finance training to partners enabling them to follow well SCI and donor rules and regulations.
- Contribute to the wider development and management of the Save the Children unified programmes by participating in regular planning and co-ordination meetings with colleagues and management;
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control;
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks, especially financial, related to delivering the Country Office program. Develop mitigation plans at proposal stage;
- Coordinate submission of control reports, respond to findings and recommend resolutions or action plans;
- Visit provincial offices and provide training to the provincial office finance staff;
- Other tasks as requested to support effective operation of the Finance Departments. Verify and approve supplier ID and sub-grant IDs to be posted to the Agresso;
- Ensure the reconciliation between TIM and Agresso is done correctly and in due time and the issues if any is brought to the attention of FM in due time;
- Approve timesheets for supervisees on monthly basis in due time;
- Immediately inform the C&C FM if any irregularities are detected in financial operations;
- Maintain a comprehensive filing system of finance records for easy access when necessary;
- Coordinate and ensure partner assessment are conducted and before signing the sub-grant with partners;
- Take part in the process of updating partner’s guidelines when needed.
- Educated to degree level in related discipline preferred;
- Professional qualification, e.g. B. COM, BBA, CPA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent.
Experience and Skills
- At least 2-5 years experience in financial management, preferably in international organizations, INGOs and/or bilateral organization;
- Solid understanding of Laos government system and international development area;
- Excellent understanding of business and financial planning including strategic modelling;
- Excellent analytical skills – the ability to analyze complex financial data and design and produce effective management information;
- Excellent understanding of financial systems and procedures;
- Excellent experience of computerized accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word;
- Be flexible and adaptable approach;
- Proven knowledge and skills in staff management;
- Good problem solving and negotiation skills;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills;
- Excellent prioritization skill and ability to coordinate a variety of work activities;
- Fluent English speaking and writing skills;
- Proven commitment to children rights and equality of opportunity;
- Strong communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and to work to tight deadlines;
- Ability to build a small, proactive team, motivating staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and providing support and advice as necessary;
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies;
- A full appreciation of the value of co-operation, both internationally and within a team environment;
- Understanding of Save the Children’s vision and mission and a commitment to its objectives and values;
- Written and verbal excellence in English;
- Demonstrated experience of line management, with good facilitation and capacity building skills;
- Excellent analytical skills – the ability to analyse complex financial data and design and produce effective management information;
- Willingness to travel, at times in difficult conditions;
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of Laos development issues and NGO networks
Contract length: fixed term
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Interested candidates please submit a full application using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document including contact details of three professional referees (current and last line managers and HR department). Please also include details of your salary expectations and a copy of your ID card. Please note that we will require a copy of your Criminal Records (ໃບ້ແຈ້ງໂທດ) later.
Closing date for applications is: 03 December, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply via link provided below on this page only ‘Apply Online’
How to submit your application?
- Follow the link above
- Click on Apply Online
- If you have not registered with SCI’s online application system before (stcuk.taleo.net), please click on New User to create an account first
- Set your new User Name (no space), Password (ensure it meets required criteria) and Email Address. Please ensure you do not forget this information, as you will need to use them when progressing to next stage
- If you have applied and registered with SCI’s online application system before (stcuk.taleo.net), please input your User Name and Password to log in as Returning User.
- Once registered/logged in, you are now ready to apply to any job on SCI’s online application system (stcuk.taleo.net). Good luck!
Frequently asked questions:
- How do I fill in the ‘Title’ field? - Please click on clickable ‘search’ button right next to the field, to select the option provided (Mr, Ms, Mrs)
- What do I put in ‘Secondary nationality’ field, if I only have one nationality? - Secondary nationality is not a mandatory field, leave it blank if it does not apply to you
- Do I need to fill all fields? - Where applicable fill in all fields. But if not applicable, only fill in the mandate fields (fields with red * mark)
Save the Children International is a child-rights based organization. Safe recruitment is central to the safeguarding of children and young people that we come into contact with, and support through our programmes.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the children is an equal opportunities employer, qualified females, persons with disability and candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 18 Nov 2020
Closing date: 3 Dec 2020 - 16:59 GMT
Location: Luangphabang, Lao People's Democratic Rep.
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time